Name: The Met Cloisters
Location: Fort Tyson, Washington Heights
The Cloisters is a museum in Fort Tyron Park in Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York City. Estalbished on May 10, 1938, The Cloisters is governed by The Metropolitan Museum of Art
; containing large collections of medievil architecture, sculptures, and decorative artworks.
A Brief History of the Cloisters
The concept for the buildings' design came from the collection of George Grey Barnard, an American sculptor and collector. George studied at Academie Des BeauxArts and lived in the village of Moret-Sur-Loing, where he began to deal 5th to 14th century European art and objects. He bought these pieces from parisan farmers who originally used them as scarecrows or grape arbors. Barnard considered the old stones as valuable artifacts and began collecting them.
When he returned to America at the eve of the First World War, George Barnard founded a museum in upper Manhattan on Fort Washington’s Ave. The Metropolitan Museum purchased most of Barnard’s collection in 1925. The funds were given by John D. Rockefeller Jr., who also purchased a strip of over 700 acres of the undeveloped Palisades woodlands across the Hudson River. Rockefeller then presented the land to the State of New Jersey as parkland; preserving the view and land around the museum. The museum gets its name from the idea of the medieval cloister, which is a covered walkway surrounding a large, open courtyard. The Cloister functioned as the heart of the monastery, functioning as a place of meditation and ideal location for reading scripture.
The Cloisters contains 5,000 works of art and architecture; all focused on Romanesque and Gothic styles of European art. The museum is an ensembles of spaces and gardens, that suggest the European Model. The Cloisters consists of varied objects including stone and wood sculptures, tapestries, illuminated manuscripts and panel paintings.
Open Seven Days a Week
March – October: 10:00 am – 5:15 pm
November – February: 10:00 am – 4:45 pm
99 Margaret Corbin Drive
Fort Tyron Park
New York, NY 10040